The boo has started a little tradition, weekend cookouts with Khye Shin and Yi Ping. I missed the first cookout but for the second, my contribution were these wonderful Salted Caramel and Nutella Cookies that were up on SortedFood’s youtube channel earlier this week. When I saw this video I knew I just had to try this recipe out. It was simple, but sinful and heavy with chocolate.
1/2 cup (110g) butter
1 1/2 cups (350g) light brown sugar
1/2 cup (55g) cocoa powder
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp baking powder
2 cups (260g) all-purpose flour
3.5 oz (100g) milk or dark chocolate chips
flaky salt/ fleur de sel/ maldon salt, for sprinkling
approx. 1/2 cup (8 tbsp) nutella
1x recipe for Salted caramel (see notes for recipe) OR 15-16 caramel-filled chocolates
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C)
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter. Take off the heat and stir in the brown sugar and eggs.
- Then add the cocoa, salt and baking powder and stir until well combined. Add the flour and stir until no floury patches are left.
- Lastly stir in the chocolate chips.
- Take 1 heaped tbsp of dough, use your finger make a large indentation the centre of the dough; fill the indentation with a small blob of nutella (like 1/2 tsp ish), and top it up with the still-warm salted caramel, or a caramel-filled chocolate.
- Top with a flattened tablespoon of dough, and seal the edges.
- Sprinkle with fleur de sel and bake for 8-10 minutes.
I bought Cadbury Caramello rounds to use in these but somehow it failed to melt the way the caramel-filled chocolates did in sortedfood’s video. Anyhow, these cookies are still the dream. Super chewy and moist (kind of like a brownie cookie) with nutella and caramel flavours, it’s hard to stop at one piece. The sprinkling of sea salt on the top made it even better.